Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Reflections and Things I Learned (aka Lessons in La Ronge)

Three weeks down and tomorrow is the last day of class! The students better show up tomorrow looking haggard and overtired, since they need to get some serious studying in tonight.

I'm bug-bitten and I seem to be a very tasty dish for a deer fly or two, judging by the swollen welts on my legs. So much for skirt season. Today the instructors went for a post-school drink and discussion at the golf course just outside of town. I still don't golf, but I watched the golfers (none terribly good looking, but they did manage to hit the ball - well done). I think I could have some fun with one of those little golf carts. Or maybe an ATV.

Let's see, what did I learn?

1. I like teaching (I already knew this, but now I know it "more").
2. Students (including me in my time) know what's best.
3. Lectures take HOURS to prepare.
4. Sometimes good chocolate really is critically important.
5. When a student finally understands a concept, or actually makes progress, it's a great feeling for the instructor.
6. You can lead 'em to the paper and put the pen in their hands, but you can't force 'em to write
7. Some students feel that punctuation is unnecessary or "personal choice". It's not.
8. I learned some new fact or interesting thing every day.
9. You can even get good Chinese food in La Ronge.

Quote of the day: "oh no, I don't roll my own smokes! It's so much work and I'm so lazy that I'd probably quit by accident."
response from me: laughing too hard to respond

Ah, and I'm back to the booming metropolis of Saskatoon this weekend.

Oh, and as for someone's prediction that Anaheim will take Edmonton in 6 - get some Prairie pride!

Signing off from La Ronge...

2 Comments:

  • IN MY DEFENSE...

    I am cursed. The other night I was watching another game (the team I was rooting for lost, as had my Sens a few days earlier). I turned to the Edmonton game and within minutes, San Jose tied it.

    Mannella says, "you ARE cursed, pretend you're cheering for the Sharks". I say, "I love Thornton". Edmonton scores. Mannella says, "Tell us how you feel about Cheechoo!". I change my msn name to "I love Cheechoo". Edmonton pulls ahead and wins 6-3.

    It has been decided that, in the interests of superstition and messing up the hockey gods, I must always predict against Edmonton and Mannella will follow up with the snarky comment on my blog. It's good luck.

    I wish I could tell the stranger from E-Town, who left another snarky comment, this story as well.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 4:18 p.m.  

  • ....so you aren't sure about teaching. I think you answered your own question. You love it and would be great :) at it. Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home