Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Friday, May 12, 2006

BUGS!

I knew if I lived up North that a hazard of the job would be bugs. At least, I thought I knew. I'm familiar with Saskatoon's grasshoppers - you know the hoppers I mean? the ones that you need to fend off with a tennis racket? they sound like a 747 when they take off from your shoulder? Well, grasshoppers are icky, but the swarms of GIANT mosquitos that attacked me outside the co-op yesterday could probably take them.

These are not little pesky mosquitos. These are huge, armed, angry bugs. I swear they have tiny little automatic weapons on them that they use to go after you. And today, as my class was discussing these bugs (they're geographical right?), I got told about the flying beetles that BITE! And we're talking beetles measured in inches, not centimetres. Someone get me outta here...

And before you lecture me and say, "why aren't you wearing bug spray?", it's because it doesn't work up here. Some sort of DEET genetic mutation has happened and these (huge) mosquitos are immune to bug spray.

You know how people get Northern allowance in the NWT and Yukon? I want La Ronge Bug Allowance.

2 Comments:

  • With the extra money you get from the bug allowance you can buy yourself a stylish bug jacket and wear that around town!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 9:01 p.m.  

  • and if I were REALLY into the spirit of high fashion, I could get one of those bug hats/face screens too!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 4:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home