Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Sunday, April 02, 2006

There will be no springing forward for us

We're melting ... and it's icky. As much as I love that it's getting warmer, I hate the slush that gets all over me when I walk anywhere, and the slippery sidewalks. It would be much better if the snow just vanished overnight. But alas, that won't happen until the thesis fairy starts delivering completed theses. So, it's pretty much never going to happen.

Today I borrowed Angus the dog and took him for a walk - where he managed to get very wet and dirty in a short amount of time. How is it that dogs go through the deepest part of any puddle, even as I find a dry path around it?

Friday was the date of my second colloquium, where I presented my thesis to the department at school. It went well, and I can cross yet another due date off the shortening list. So now the list looks like this:

-write thesis
-defend thesis

Somehow shorter doesn't equal easier. But at least that particular presentation is done with, and successfully. I did not look like a tragic monkey (long story) up there, which is always a bonus. To celebrate, Friday night I went out with the girls for dinner and general merriment. Food was excellent, as was being out of my apartment and not thinking about writing. However, exhaustion and a headache did me in, and I was home by 9:30. Such is the fabulous life of a grad student near the end!

I'm told that last night was "Spring forward" and the changing of the clocks. We don't do that in Saskatchewan, and I find it quite confusing. With friends and family in BC and Ontario, I keep getting time zones confused, and I'm not sure what's going on (as usual). And to make it even worse, my TV shows come on at different times than I'm used to. Now you're probably thinking, "c'mon girl, you're supposed to be smart...". But I'm a grad student, and I have enough to confuse me already!

1 Comments:

  • You might be interested to know that even Guatemala has joined the majority of the western world and has "sprung forward" for the first time every this year! And can you imagine my exictement when I realized that I would be here to witness it!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 3:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home