Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Toronto Visit

On Thursday I flew to Ontario (thank-you Jamie, once again, for the standby ticket). Now, I was supposed to fly to Toronto, but since it was a long weekend, I ended up flying to Hamilton. Not a problem, I can handle travel. So I took a cab to the GO station, bought a ticket from the non-english speaking guy, attempted to confirm the correct bus, and finally, got on the bus. Two minutes later I found out that it was the wrong bus. So I got back off, waited for the other bus, and had a nice journey towards Oakville. Then I got dropped off at a not-quite random park n'ride, and called J-girl, lost again. Apparently the bus doesn't go where it should. Anyway, Viper came and got me, and it was all good. Somewhat stressful, but good.

The first night was pretty casual, just unpacking, getting a bite to eat, and hanging out. I managed 22 hours awake that day. Needless to say, some sleeping in was in order the next morning. We all went out to The Legend of Zorro that night, and I liked it, despite the reviews. It was no Mask of Zorro, but it had swashbuckling action.

We did the obligatory expedition to Purdy's chocolates and Chapter's book store, my resolve crumbling a bit near all those yummy chocolates and fabulous books. But hey, chocolate cures headaches and irritation (theoretically) and books make you smarter. So clearly those are quality buys. There were NO shoes following me around, thank goodness, and just to make sure, we stayed away from anything remotely resembling a shoe store. In our voyages, Viper found a fantastic suit and some new sweaters. It's very nice to see someone else stepping up.

At several points Joey demonstrated her prowess at the piano, and she actually attempted to teach me how to play. Now, I'm no Tchaikovsky, but I did learn where middle C is located, a basic scale or two, and how to kind-of read music (elephants have great big feet - or something). We also made an afternoon trip to look at the new houses in their area, some of which were spectacular. It's always fun to see how other people decorate their place and get ideas for your (dream) castle.

There was some quality cooking going on over the weekend. Between Joey and her pork roast, my chicken, and Viper's bbq steaks, we definitely ate well. No vegetarians there, that's for sure.

I flew back on Tuesday, avoiding the blizzard in Winnipeg, and arrived to -20 degree temperatures at home. It was a great trip, and a nice break. Now I have to get back to work and do some data analysis...good times!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home