Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The long awaited visit from Jodi

The weekend started off with a bang when Jodi, Lyndsay and I went for martini's at Earls. We dressed in our finery, including fur and/or vintage jackets, and headed out for the classic girl night of eating, drinking, and discussing critical issues (i.e. men). Jodi hadn't been to Saskatoon in almost a year, and despite attending her wedding in August, I hadn't spent much time with her, so it was great to catch up.

Saturday was a spent leisurely strolling around with our Starbucks in hand (yes, I know they're taking over Saskatoon, but downtown it's just convenient). It was a perfect fall day for a walk by the river, and thankfully people were out walking their puppies...which I cheerfully accosted for some quality dog time. Since our financial situations weren't as secure as our cheerfulness, we decided to keep a buffer between us and shoe stores. It's a well known fact that if you don't go into a store, it's 100% more likely that you won't pull out your VISA and "accidentally" buy shoes. Why can't they just follow me home like the commercial?

Since we couldn't afford the merchandise in the local furniture store, and indeed, it may not have even fit on the VISA, we deemed it safe for browsing. We collapsed on the beautiful leather sofa and spent about 45 minutes mentally furnishing our imaginary castles. When the coffee was cold, and the welcoming smiles of the sales attendants were almost as frosty, we departed and made our way back down to the river. Sadly, there was a shoe store en route. I wanted to stay away, for safety's sake, but Jodi hadn't ever been in...and how could I allow that to continue? After gathering my (not so iron) willpower, I led her into Duran's, my newly discovered shoe gold mine. I beelined to the shoes that I'd tried on before, but were (thankfully) too small. However, they did fit Jodi, and they needed a good home. Twenty minutes later they had been adopted. If I can't have them, at least they're "in the family". Pleased with my willpower (and large feet) and Jodi's new shoes, we cruised back to my place for a Sex and the City marathon.

Dinner came in the form of a get together with Bruce, Sarah, Jodi and myself. Sadly the meat thermometer didn't make an appearance, though I did make a fabulous chicken dish. And for the last time people, it's risotto, not rice! After dinner we got dressed in costumes/nice outfits and headed out for a quasi Halloween party. Since Jodi and I had learned about this rather last minute, we didn't have costumes. But Jodi pulled through, and in a stroke of Sex and the City inspired genius, proposed we go as power lesbians. This didn't really entail much except dressing in leather jackets and fabulous shoes, which was quite manageable. Anyway, Bruce and Sarah looked great, and Bruce, you should really wear brown polyester more often.

The party was lots of fun, and I discovered the video option on my camera. Hence, there are some rather random videos of the evening. We'd danced ourselves out by one or two, so we called it a night. I managed to get up for yoga the next morning, and Jodi met some friends for coffee. Overall, it was deemed a successful weekend!

2 Comments:

  • where did you go party?

    Zeegreek

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 p.m.  

  • As always Lisa, you made a fantastic meal! I'll see what I can do about the brown polyester... :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home