Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Monday, November 21, 2005

And the beat goes on

I'm waiting for my lunch to cook. Despite my best efforts at hand washing and drinking liquids (of the non-alcoholic variety, primarily water) it seems that I've got a cold. Damn. I hate that. So I'm still washing my hands (that's just good hygine), and drinking water (good sense), and now I'm taking drugs too. And everyone knows that "it's never a good idea to operate heavy machinery or statistically experiment with data when you're on drugs". I'm not sure if Advil counts, but whatever.

This weekend was fairly busy. First, the Harry Potter movie on Friday, and then I took Shannon shoe shopping on Saturday. I was on alert for some quality Christmas presents, but mostly just looking for shoes/boots for her. It's tough to find somewhat fashionable winter boots that will suffice in -30 weather. But we had a mission, and thankfully the Shoe Gods were with us that day. Sometimes you can try endless pairs of shoes and nothing will work, and on those days, recognize that you don't have "it" and go home. But, on the glorious days that "it" is with you, buy, buy, buy! And Shannon managed that admirably. We found her some boots, and a lovely pair of Franco Sarto dress shoes, with a managable heel.

Now, we've discovered one unfortunate fact; we have the same size feet. And the Franco Sarto shoes were SO pretty, and SO comfortable, and SO cheap...and did they have two pairs please? Of course not. Well, since I'm (a little bit) known for my shoe situation, and I recognize that I do have a few pairs (stop laughing!), I stepped back and sent the shoes home with Shannon (better for my VISA anyway). It was the right thing to do, and as she says, now I have shoe karma. I'm wondering if that only associates with shoes, or if I can parlay it into the man situation? or the thesis?

Anyway, after the shoe buying trip, we went home and got changed, then went out to see a concert featuring Oscar Lopez, a juno winning Latin guitarist. He incorporated jazz, blues, and even pop sensibilities into his music. I was surprised at the range - from some songs that were fiery and passionate, to jazzy and upbeat, and a few times I almost expected Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta-Jones to start dancing, a la Mask of Zorro. The most interesting and peculiar thing about the show was that it was held in a church. The architecture was beautiful, but I kept getting distracted by the way the light played off the different beam structures. Anyway, it was a fun night.

And now back to work... Have a great Monday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home