Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Women & Chocolate (aka Chick Crack)

Ben and Jerry really are two of my favourite men that I've never met. Although, I understand that one of them is now dead (probably from eating too much icecream). On the whole, I don't really like icecream, but when it comes to Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia, it's a whole different ballgame (as they say). I'm not sure what it is, maybe the little cherries, maybe the chocolaty bits, but somehow it's just wonderful.

Shannon (who prefers B & J Chunky Monkey) just questioned whether men get the same pleasure out of icecream that women do. This question could be extended to chocolate as well. Why is it that women fall all over themselves (and any other people that get in between them and the goal) to get a hold of their favourite icecream or chocolate? I've seen women holding the little cartons and refusing to share, defending the little pint of goodness with their spoons stationed on Alert 5. If you have the temerity to try to steal some, you'll be lucky to just lose a finger, if not an eye. There's a reason it's called Chick Crack.

Most men only buy chocolate when they've messed something up or have to get a birthday/Christmas present for a woman. And Joey, who can always be counted on to provide chocolate treats, refused to share her box. Now, I certainly can't hold that against her, since it was maybe five hours after my trip to Purdy's, and I KNOW that I had more chocolate than she did. The good thing about a quality friend is that they will step up if necessary and share. In fact, I'm sure that if some horrible event occurred, she'd be the first to send chocolate (among other things).

Perhaps women's taste buds are more enhanced than men's. Or maybe we feel that we deserve it for putting up with men. I know there are some women that would vote for the latter. However, I think that it may be a mystery left unsolved (do I sense a Ph.D research opportunity here?). Anyone with comments or insight are certainly welcome to add to the discussion, but I think the important thing is to make sure there is always some sort of chocolate around to satiate the aforementioned women.

4 Comments:

  • Hey Chicka!

    You're back! YAY! It sounds like you had such a great time. Nice pics. We should get together soon and hang out. Gimme a call when you're not busy and you have some free time. TTYL

    Zeegreek

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 a.m.  

  • The whole chocolate and ice cream thing is a mystery to me.

    Cookies, however... now that's a different story!

    By Blogger Bruce, at 4:11 a.m.  

  • Allow me to attempt an explanation for Bruce and other men who just don't get it. As women, we actually have chocolate and ice cream budgets. We spend these budgets wisely (ie. by thinking about ice cream and all of the flavour options before going out to buy some). It is one of the best parts of womanhood.

    By Blogger Shannon, at 5:31 p.m.  

  • Unfortunately for the pocket book, I'm done with cheap chocolate. Mars bars just don't appeal to me anymore. Now, give me some good quality dark chocolate and it's a different story...

    By Blogger Courtney, at 5:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home