Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Well Done Dragon!

Last night a bunch of us decided to capitalize on the weekend status and celebrate a week of hard work. Well, hmmm...I'm sure there was someone who worked this week. Maybe Bruce. Yes, I'm certain that he worked hard this week. And Shannon has an outline for her literature review. And I have, well, hmmm. I had jetlag. Today I'm reorganizing my data in preparation for a weekend/week of work. So I'm back on track. But I digress...

Bruce, Shannon, Stefan, Allison, and I (among others) saw the new Harry Potter movie last night, and it was excellent. We lined up at 9:00 for the 10:30 show (which was sold out that morning already) and managed to get a whole row of prime seats. I think there were about 10 of us. Thanks to Allison for getting the tickets early! The movie had great special effects, scary dragons (that ran amok and destroyed things), and there was a comedic aspect that wasn't as prevalent in the first three movies. This one was also the first real glimpse of the darker side you get in the books. Shannon and I should be screenwriters, since clearly we could come up with lines like "well done Dragon!" In fact, we do all the time.

It was interesting seeing the age variety in the crowd. There were teenagers, people our age, and even actual adults (note that I don't consider us adults - those of you that know us should understand why. Reference: the twizzler incident). Some of the members of the audience showed up in various Harry Potter paraphanalia, and there was cheering when the movie started. It almost seemed like this movie appeals to the younger ones the way Star Wars appealed to us a few years ago. I didn't particularly feel like cheering when HP started, but I remember when Star Wars 1 was released (before we'd actually seen it), and the excitement in the theater. This was somewhat subdued after the movie, but that's another story.

So it was a friday night well spent. How can you go wrong when overpriced popcorn and twizzlers are involved? I thought it was a great movie, and I'd see it again (particularly if someone else paid). I like that the english aspect is maintained in the movies, and Ron finally did something in this movie besides look terrified. The movie stayed surprisingly true to the book, so if you like the books, see the movie. If you don't, well, then you might think this movie is ungood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home