Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Something about Princesses

I've been on a Disney kick lately, listening to "classic" Aladdin soundtracks and the like. For some reason, everywhere I look I see toys, books, and movies about "Disney Princesses". Now, this may be occurring because I work in a bookstore (hence, the books), frequent DVD stores, and am keeping an eye out for toys for my niece. Or it may be happening because the stores are flagrantly gearing up for Christmas (Hallowe'en isn't over yet people!). And if you're looking for girl toys, the Disney Princesses will figure in somehow.

I wouldn't claim to be a feminist, and I certainly liked playing with Barbie and the gang when I was a child, but are we doing a disservice to our young children by reading them the Princess stories? I mean, take Cinderella - nice girl, worked hard - she could have done anything. Maybe left home, wrote the SAT's or taken a few university transfer classes and got herself a business degree from "Magical University". She could have started her own cleaning business - become an entrepreneur. Instead, she waited for a guy to check out her shoes, marry her, and make her a princess (probably with a lot of closet space).

I bought into this as a kid, but thankfully I got myself an education, because all the guys that check out my shoes are gay. Put that in a Disney story and see what happens!

I'm not advocating that we get rid of these stories, but what about having beautiful handy-women instead of princesses? Or educated, employed women of some description? I only suggest this as I might have been inspired to pick up a hammer if Ariel or Belle had acted as role models in this manner.

I've used a powerdrill twice in my life, and both times (both times!) I kept my eyes shut the whole time. Does this sound safe? Maybe if I'd read this type of story as a kid and learned something handy, I wouldn't be at risk for electrocution/death by powerdrill when I hang heavy items on my wall.

Don't denounce me as a Disney story-killer here, as I will enthusiastically watch Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, or The Little Mermaid (without or without children present) and the Princess theme had a role in my childhood too. I'm just saying that we should teach out little girls that powertools aren't scary, and they can have toy hammers just like the boys. Well, someone else can teach them that...I'm in the living room with my eyes closed.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know d.w. albatross but that seems like a rather rude comment.

    Anyway, I totally think there could be a market for "modern" fairy tales! Seriously!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:05 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home