Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Monday, January 09, 2006

Blogging, Procrastination, and Resolutions

I can't say that blogging has lost its charm. I'd like to have time to write every day, but instead, school has taken over my life. That sounds somewhat dramatic, but sadly it's true. I have a huge amount of work to do in two months (mostly thanks to my stellar procrastination last semester and the Great Sand Hills project), and I'm now immersed in data analysis and the early stages of writing my thesis.

Spurred on by the fear of my looming defense (for the unwritten thesis no less) and the fact that I'll be defending "whether I'm ready or not", there has been genuine progress. I'm so glad my mom called me on Friday night, as it was 8:30 and I hadn't eaten dinner, having been sitting in front of my computer for 6 hours straight. After a chat, I got back to work, finally shutting down the computer about 1:30 am, after almost 11 hours straight.

Kids, if I have any advice for you it would be "Don't procrastinate!" Because then you won't have to stare at a screen for 11 hours a day, every day, even on weekends. Yes, Saturday and Sunday were more of the same, and today was marginally better because I had to get a new passport (and the lines are amazingly long this time of year!). Thankfully, I took breaks from the data analysis to do "oh so thrilling" interview transcription. And I'm grateful that Shannon is getting older, because we went out for dinner to celebrate her birthday, which once again got me out of my apartment. This helped me regain a sense of normalcy.

So my life officially sucks right now. But the strange thing is that I'm actually relieved. I really wanted to work on my own data and get this project done, and now that I'm putting in the time, I feel better about it. It's going to be a ridiculous couple of months, but it feels good to work this hard again. Of course, it's only been, what? a week? Give me a few more and I'll be running around with my toaster and making idle threats about baths and jumping off the arts tower.

And as far as resolutions, I didn't make any this year. Thankfully I've already mastered chopstick eating, and I can look a guy in the eye (even if he's cute!), so I don't have to make a resolution to try and learn something new. I could resolve to write my thesis, but I'm going to do it anyway. And since that is the extent of my curricular and extracurricular activities right now, I won't have time to worry about resolutions. Maybe struggling with SPSS will be enough learning for 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home