Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Christmas 2005

What do I say about Christmas this year? Well, I arrived in Victoria on December 21st, so I missed the tree decorating, but it was so nice to get there and see it all done. My parents had clearly missed me (which was nice, I have to say), and the dogs remembered me and were quick to show some doggie affection.

My parents look forward to me coming home for many reasons, one of which is that I will cook and bake (and actually enjoy doing so). Dad picked out four (count 'em, four) types of cookies he wanted to try, and we set out to get the ingredients and bake them. It became a whole family baking party, with Dad measuring and rolling (and yes Dad, you were a VERY good help), mom mixing (and noticing the lack of eggs where necessary!), and me chopping, coordinating and keeping a watchful eye.

There was some pre-Christmas shopping, a trip to the inner harbour to see the Christmas trees at the Empress, and lots of time to hang out or go for walks with the dogs. The weather was rainy and overcast for most of the time I was there. I must be used to living in the dry weather now because I was cold the whole time I was in Victoria - it must be the humidity.

Everyone was home for Christmas day, and mom cooked up a great feast. Dan's friend joined us for Christmas dinner, but other than that it was a fairly quiet affair. Courtney and I got together on Boxing Day for lunch at Milestones (yay Bellini's and Beer!) and shopping downtown. We did some damage, but nothing too gratuitous. We had some adventures with the blue giraffe and managed to visit quite a few stores in a short amount of time.

I met up with my friend Sarah before I left, who was trying to move apartments, pack for New Zealand, and house-sit at the same time. We had lunch, moved boxes back and forth, and struggled to fit her bed down the stairs into her new apartment. She's happily touring beaches in NZ now, so I have little sympathy for her hard work.

I wrapped the week up, spending the last day with my parents. I managed to fit all my various shopping and christmas presents in my bags back (which was both good planning and a small miracle). The only stressful part about getting back was the heavy fog that threatened to keep the flight from landing in Saskatoon. Thankfully it had cleared and we didn't have to spend New Year's in Calgary!

Anyway, that's a quick and dirty overview of my week. Many thanks to all who made it such an enjoyable trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home