Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Still on the book topic...

One of my favourite authors is Robertson Davies. He died fairly recently, and since his writing has ceased and it is now possible to have his entire collection of works. I first read his books in my Canadian Literature class, and I now own all of them. One of my favourite quotes (and I have many) is from Tempest-Tost, and while I can't necessarily relate to it word for word, I do understand the point he's making. I particularly love the way he expressed the sentiment.

"Book lovers are thought by unbookish people to be gentle and unworldly, and perhaps a few of them are so. But there are others who will lie and scheme and steal to get books as wildly and unconscionably as the dope-taker in pursuit of his drug. They may not want the books to read immediately, or at all; they want them to possess, to range on their shelves, to have at command. They want books as a Turk is thought to want concubines -- not to be hastily deflowered, but to be kept at their master's call, and enjoyed more often in thought than in reality."

Robertson Davies
Tempest-Tost

4 Comments:

  • I used to think Robertson Davies was an incredibly boring author and I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. This was based on a book report I did in grade 9 on "What's Bred in the Bone".

    I recently picked up "The Depford Trilogy" at a thrift store for 25 cents and decided to give this famous Canadian author another try. Well the short story is I'm in love. With his writing. "Fifth Business" captivated me like only an excellent book can, and now I'm on to "The Manticore" and I think it's going to be just as good".

    I think I just didn't "get" it in grade 9. There's something I should have added to my 15 things about books: When I was a kid I had a bad habit of reading books that were way above me because it made me feel grown up or something. I also thought the Lord of the Rings was boring when I first read it (or tried to read it. I probably only got 20 pages in).

    By Blogger Courtney, at 11:19 a.m.  

  • Personally, I've never heard of Robertson Davies, but he definitely knows a book lover when he talks of what a person will do to get, keep and/or read a book. Lie, cheat and steal? Hell, that's the least of it! Actually, it's more like what I wouldn't do for a good book - I wont clean up after myself, I wont do my research, I wont talk to other people... all because of a good book!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 p.m.  

  • My Robertson Davies experience goes like this.

    Shannon: Cool! Robertson Davies is reading at the National Library tonight!
    Mom: I don't like driving downtown.
    Shannon: Please, can I go? Can't you drive me this once?
    Mom: No.
    Shannon: (miscellaneous cursing)
    Mom: You can go next time.

    Yeah, note to Mom, when 97 year old authors do readings, there is NOT a next time :(

    By Blogger Shannon, at 2:26 p.m.  

  • An excellent point. I had some issues with my mom when she casually mentioned that Terry Pratchett had been in Victoria doing a reading. WHY didn't she mention it? Now, he isn't exactly dead yet, but he lives in the UK and doesn't venture over here very often.

    Ah well, I guess we just read the books and appreciate them without acting like book "groupies" (not that I would do groupie-esque activities with these authors...but maybe a hot, young one?). Because we all know that there are tons of hot, young, and articulate men.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 2:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home