Livin' in the land of the cold and the flat

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Conference News and Associated Drama

Today I found out that my abstract was accepted for the 2006 American Association of Geographers Conference in Chicago, Illinois. This is very good.

When you submit an abstract, you are put in a session of about 4 or 5 other presenters. My paper is titled (tentatively) "Implications of 'one-size fits all' policy solutions for greenhouse gas mitigation in Canadian agriculture". Now, I would have expected to be in a climate session, an agriculture session, or an environmental/social impact session. So where did I get put? In the session titled "Chemistry in Geographical Analysis". Seriously?!? I mean, WHAT? What part of my greenhouse gas ridden social impact assessment issue screamed "chemistry"?

Here are some of the other titles in my session:

Applying a self organizing algorithm to characterize soil dioxin data: a case study in Tittabawassee River flood plain, Michigan State.

Estimating the Spatial-temporal Distribution of Radon Releases from the K-65 Silos.

Vertical Heavy Metal Trends from Two Radiocarbon Dated Sediment Cores, Dill River, central Germany.

So we have a bunch of toxicologists and chemistry people, and me, a social geographer. Well, it's nice to know that even the mundane academic conference submission process can become a bloggable event. Nothing like drama on the academic front. So there you have it people, I've been dropped in and fed to the chemistry wolves. Don't you all wish you were students?

On the bright side, I'll be living it up in style at the Hilton in Chicago. So there is a silver lining.

3 Comments:

  • Perhaps we should be more specific when we say that all we want is to "have chemistry with someone". 'Cause now you've got chemistry. The icky kind (with math).

    By Blogger Shannon, at 8:40 p.m.  

  • Really? REALLY? Are we going into the chemistry issue? How much chemistry do we need per presentation/situation? I can do without chemistry if my only alternative is math. I'm just not head over heels wild about math.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 9:01 p.m.  

  • Congratulations on the conference, and my condolences about the session placement. And a trip to Chicago, how exciting!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 11:56 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home